In February 2011, Landers Toyota approached SI because of the negative impact they were experiencing from online reviews. After thorough analysis, we realized that they were generating less than 20% of sales from online sources. In addition, sales were being crippled by online review sites with mostly negative reviews and low ratings for the dealership. The lack of online presence among social media sites also played a role in preventing the brand’s audience from providing any positive feedback to build the dealership’s reputation.
The Big Idea:
Team SI immediately developed a digital campaign to address the problem and also deployed cause marketing to help grow the brand’s Facebook audience and create a positive buzz about the dealership in the community. The content strategy was formed by analysis of time of day to post, best days to post, audience demographics, audience interests and other defining factors. SI implemented an extensive reputation management strategy to begin combating the negative reviews by encouraging satisfied customers to engage with the brand online (among other ethical strategies for improving a negative online reputation).
- Landers Toyota is now bringing in more than 50% of sales from online
- Sales directly from the lot have continued to increase
- The Landers Toyota Facebook page now boasts a larger following than the entire local competitive set
- Landers Toyota went from low Web ratings in all areas of service to ratings of 4.5-5 stars across the Web
- Daily monitoring by SI helps ensure that all reviews are accurate and negative reviews are addressed
- Toyota has also ranked No. 1 in corporate campaigns on Foursquare